Recoil isn't bad and it will lay out the ft/lbs of energy as ways. But up close, you notice a custom upgrade that allows this piece of machinery to do [], Citing the critical importance of elk, deer and other big game migration corridors, winter range and other vital habit, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation urged [], West Virginias elk herd continues to grow and biologists are doing the best they can to monitor the populations health, size, movements and habitat use. Not long ago, the .270 Winchester reigned supreme. Publisher Kevin Steele is in the Beretta booth with Logan Killam, the Shotgun Product Manager, to discuss the all new Beretta A300 Ultima Turkey. Im convinced these new, heavy bullets elevate the .270s performance on larger game: Similar to the 7mms with like bullet weights; and exceeding the capability of any 6.5mm. This takes us back to the launch. At 800 yards the 28 Nosler carries just over 2000 ft lbs of energy. Again, I believe frontal area matters. Elk Hunter 338 Official LRH Sponsor. launched 2,600 fps will still be churning some 1,800 ft-lb energy. Or even ten. It delivers greater velocity than even the gargantuan .270 Weatherby. In eight-pound rifles, the 7mm Rem. They share a maximum body diameter of 14.0 mm (0.550 in). 28 Nosler barrel life is around 700-900 rounds for 175-grain bullets. We have an embarrassment of choices in 7mms, and elk dont like any. Work the numbers, compare for yourself; at moderate ranges differences arent that dramatic. The difference is .07 of an inch, the animal in the receiving end will never know that difference. For deer and pronghorn, to much gun. With greater frontal area (than a .30) and heavy bullets, the .338 will do this. 1. Along with the .30-06 Springfield and .30-30 Winchester, these cartridges have anchored more deer than any others. This new 10mm from FN is rugged, versatile, and effective. 27 Nosler Load Data For over 90 years, American hunters have taken to the field in pursuit of nearly all the game the lower 48 states have to offer with a trusty 270 in hand. He has managed multiple gun ranges, and has hunted around the world. I wouldnt hesitate to take the 27 Nosler on any elk or moose hunt, and Id also feel comfortable using it on the full gamut of African plains game, as well as leopard. The last elk I killed was nice 6x6 at 260 yds with 270. They shoot flatter, but they kick me into next week. Again, bullet weight. Loaded with a 150gr bullet, the 27 Nosler is 400fps faster than a 270 Win, and 300fps faster than a 270 WSM at the muzzle. The 33-caliber has become a crowded family, and all members are more than suitable for elk. Bulls are bigger than cows; and mature, fully grown bulls are huge. The tighter the cover, the shorter the rifle. Short in the Elvis era meant standard or 30/06 length: 3.340-inches overall cartridge length, down from the 3.6-inches of the parent cartridge. Believe it or not, with the right bullet, it can hang right with the .300 Win Mag without the recoil. We had set up in what I considered to be a less-than-advantageous position, a bit too skylined for my liking, and with very little cover. 28 Nosler vs 300WSM for Elk | Rokslide Forum The .300 Win Mag is the worlds most popular magnum. Makes me feel good to see I am within 150 fps of the 27 Nosler. Although Ive been shooting all my life, I have to mentally check my shoulder mount before I pull the trigger. Mag., and elk hardly know the difference. In this article, Ill cover the pros and cons Ive found with shooting the .28 Nosler on my recent big game hunting adventures. Selecting your perfect elk caliber hinges on you as well as the elk and the landscapes and habitat in which youll hunt them. In fact, the first time my friend, who is a seasoned shooter himself, shot my 28 Nosler, he got scoped! But replacing the 300 WSM doesn't make sense to me. This is the unfortunate trade off. The right bullet in the right place. The rimless case uses a 35-degree shoulder for headspacing, and maintains a 2.590-inch case length and 3.340-inch cartridge overall length. Many argue this about the .28-calibers, too, but the old 7mm Remington Magnum remains, since its inception in 1962, the most popular and effective 7mm elk caliber in the mountains. The factory ammo and brass is cheaper for the 28 Nosler. While Elmer had his fans agreeing, the thorn in Elmers side, Jack OConnor, had his readers lapping up the .270 Winchester. What the heck? buried one Winchester magnum and created another. Its a bolt action looking quite a bit like an AR-15. No caliber is more uniquely American than the 270. Sales bloomed immediately when it released. Shot was quartering to and both shots exited behind off shoulder. Shot placement and bullet performance cause quick humane kills. Lots of things still to be determined, but at least the .277-inch bullet size is getting some new life. You, your kids, and 90 percent of the shooters might love the SIG Cross rifle, in which case the .277 SIG Fury might be your baby. The new Sig round is wildly different than any other .270 cartridge because its been chronographed spitting 140-grain .277 bullets 3,000 fps. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. For me, I havent developed any flinching issues and Id prefer to have a gun that I know will shoot incredibly flat with little wind drift at long distances for those cross-canyon elk shots. Fully prepped, Nosler premium cartridge brass in 27 Nosler will be available in 25ct boxes. Heres a detailed look at each step of the process. Your taste in rifle weight, mass, and recoil will color your choices. in the mid .4s to low .5s, good enough to provide maximum point blank range of 320 to 340 yards on a 10-inch target zone. Today most ammo makers also offer 225-grain bullets in a variety of controlled expansion configurations that retain mass well enough to penetrate better than the original 250-grain cup/core styles while delivering equal, sometimes more muzzle energy thanks to higher muzzle velocity. Thats a very nice lightweight setup, without going to the extremes. Despite these developments, the original .270 Winchester continued to rule the roost. #Sunday Gunday: Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon in 27 Nosler And it has worked just find on elk, moose, even big brown bears, though most think it waaay too light for that. When choosing among these three .270s one must consider more than just ballistics. The .30-06 is the most powerful cartridge ever adopted by a major military. Weighing in at 7.8 pounds before optics and with an MSRP of $1985, the Premier Highlander is an excellent elk hunting rifle. Kali Parmley of Gun Dog Magazine talks to George Thompson from Benelli USA about the new features from the Benelli line in 2023. Foot-pounds aside, I think elk-sized animals are better taken with heavier bullets than are essential for your typical deer round. Published Feb 26, 2020 3:21 PM EST. No discussion of a cartridges ability to take large game would be complete without discussing foot pounds of energy. 27 nosler brass | Long Range Hunting Forum Recoil is about 30-percent less than the .338 Win. Thats excellent performance for a tough animal. Traditional .270s are limited by 1:10 rifling twist to 150-grain bullets. Mag. The main body, however, is brass. Mag. Watch videos, see the latest gear and more. No matter 27 or 28 caliber. If the .338s are the best caliber on the upper end for elk, the 7mms are the best at the lower end. This will be for shooting mono-metal bullets mostly for elk hunting. Mag. I dont personally shoot extreme ranges when hunting by any means, but when I can consistently hit 600 yards in practice, I know 300 wont give me any trouble when hunting. Though Nosler offers just two loads, the handloader can take full advantage of the full gamut of component bullets available for the .270 Winchester and others, giving the handloader a bullet range of 130 to 165 grains. For 2020, Nosler has chosen to take the venerable 270 caliber to a new level with the introduction of the all-new 27 Nosler. Clearly there is no one right answer. Best 28 Nosler Ammo For Hunting Elk, Deer, Bear, & Other Big Game I could go for one of the several faster .33s, but Ive tried most of them. (Or you can just stalk closer and to heck with pushing the envelope. Benefits of the .28 Nosler. I am thinking of bullet weight and higher B.C. To prevent the risk of a 28 Nosler cartridge being chambered in a 27 Nosler chamber, the shoulder of the 27 Nosler has been moved slightly rearward, lengthening the neck slightly. UPC #: 054041612371. Heft up to a 10-pound rifle and kick will calm to just 32.7 ft-lb. I did as instructed, leveling the crosshair of the Leupold VX-3HD on the onside shoulder, and breaking the trigger of the Nosler Model 21 rifle, sending a 150-grain Nosler AccuBond on its way to make meat. 28. It's extremely flat shooting and drops an incredible amount of energy on target. loads. Think it all through carefully before choosing. No rough-and-tough manly man in the 1960s was going to admit he couldnt handle that. And, I know they are going to be pretty similar, but, still, I have to choose one. Adequate, but be careful and watch the distance. But, much to my chagrin, my guide was right and I was wrong. Thats ok. Live and learn is a common aphorism for a reason. A traditional stock or adjustable? Commissions are earned for links to Brownell's, Amazon, MidwayUSA, GoHunt, OpticsPlanet, Sportsman's Warehouse, and other retailers. Im not convinced this is a good thing. The pieces of the .277 Sig Sauer cartridge are assembled via an internal pressure ring of some kind near the base. worldwide popularity. If you like your hearing, on the other hand, shooting without a brake will kick hard. Im not exactly sure how its accomplished, but it involves plenty of pressure, Im sure. About 1:8 would be my guess. Both new rounds exceed the ballistics of the old one, but do it in different ways. Lighter recoil matched to .300 Win. Certainly, out to 400 yards, no elk can stand up to a good 180-grain bullet well-placed from a .30-06. With 170 gr Berger Elite hunters, RP once fired brass, win large rifle primers, 57.5 grains RL 26 COAL 3.484 I get 2,930 FPS at roughly 70 degrees. I have shot neither so my opinion may not mean much. Ever since Nosler announced that they were coming out with the Nosler 27, I have been thinking I would prefer a Nosler 28. Can Coolers | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. The 27 Nosler has 32% more case capacity than the .270 Winchester, 22% more than the .270 Winchester Short Magnum and 14% more than the .270 Weatherby. Mag. 180-gr. Exactly. Nearly every elk hunter will care somewhat about the weight of their rifle after a long day of hiking. Another desirable choice is the also-scarce .358 Winchester, and I took a fine Colorado bull with a Marlin in .338 Marlin Express, a great cartridge. The 7mm Rem Mag is certainly adequate for any elk, especially with heavier bullets. Do you prefer a standard-length action or short? Finally, the puny 6.8 SPC from Remington appeared about 2004. I know small-framed hunters who happily pay the gravitational price for packing Granddads M1886 Winchester lever-action in .45/70. trajectory may explain how the 7mm Rem. These rifle weight/size considerations will influence cartridge size, especially length. Unless you work with a custom gun builder and handload, study factory options before choosing. In addition to the caliber, Nosler also introduced new 165gr . Ive had unsuccessful elk hunts, but Ive never lost a bull, so my choices have worked for me. more than the 270 WSM at the muzzle. I do enjoy the videos and your enthusiasm in them. Introducing the Veracity PH from Burris, the perfect combination of reliability, quality, and technology delivering a simple aiming solutiona tool for the hunter that just works. In the past, you had to handload to get these, but long-range shooters have created sufficient demand that many ammo makers now offer factory ammo featuring bullets heavier than 200-grains. .284-inch bullet or a 180-gr. In local stores, you are unlikely to find anything other than Hornadys Precision Hunter 162-grain ELD-X, or a Noslers 175-grain Trophy Hunter load with an Accubond bullet. Traditional .270s are limited by 1:10 rifling twist to 150-grain bullets. Any rifle/cartridge adequate for elk at long range is also adequate up close, but my concept of a thick-cover elk rifle uses a heavy, large-diameter bullet, without concern for flat trajectory or extreme velocity. A 140- to 150-grain .264 driven to the same speeds as a .270 Win. It might be impossible to find the rifle you want and darn tough to find factory loads to feed it. But that has nothing to do with the actual performance of the .277 SIG Fury cartridge or rifle. #20. Design evolves. From the post-World War II era . I am pretty certain that your ballistic table is incorrect, the energy and velocity column are identical for 200-1,000 yards and the two columns are flipped for 1,200 and 1,500 yards. The Hornady designed the .300 Precision Rifle Cartridge (the .300 PRC) as a precision long-range rifle . That bullet offers the best of all worlds, as it will reliably expand at longer ranges when it has slowed down a bit, yet will hold together at woods distances when velocities remain high . Well, as the majority of us are primarily deer hunters, and the .270 Winchester handles deer and similar sized game so well, I dont think that will come to pass. Comparing this with the 160- and 175-grain bullets of the 7mm bore diameter, and it isnt hard to see that advantage of the slightly larger bore diameter. The final arbiters of the Best elk calibers are you and the elk, but here are my top five that I chose for their balance of power, reach, recoil, trajectory (drop and drift,) availability, affordability in reasonably compact, light, mountain ready rifles. Required fields are marked *. bullet makes it easier to hit should you misjudge the range. This short-fat, looking remarkably similar to the 6.8 Western, adds around 200 fps to the best Creedmoor speeds, and that lets you shoot the same bullets with less drop, less wind deflection, and more energy on target. I did not determine the rifling twist rate of the Cross Rifle, but Im guessing it will be faster than the traditional 1-10 inches of the .270 Winchester. I haven't loaded the 27 nosler. Looking for previous installments of our "Behind the Bullet" series? Mag., some less. Mag.,) the 27 Nosler should be able to nudge a 165-grain along at 3,100 fps, perhaps 3,150 fps. The .270 Winchesters SAAMI spec maximum chamber pressure is 65,000 psi. Noslers .27 will be chambered in that companys M48 bolt-action rifles. I think the reason the .28 Nosler factory loads are so focused on long range expansion is that it is an extremely capable long range cartridge. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, Head to Head: 7mm Remington Magnum vs. 27 Nosler, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, NRA Women | Understanding Sectional Density (SD), NRA-ILA | Tennessee: House Committee to Vote on Pro-Gun Bills this Wednesday, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season, X-Vision Optics Launches Thermal Impact Scope, First Look: Blocker Outdoors Finisher Accessories, 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges, New For 2023: Smith & Wesson M&P FPC | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Properly Clean and Store Your Rifle After Hunting Season | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 10 Most Versatile Long-Range Hunting Cartridges | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Riton Optics Celebrates 10th Anniversary | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. How the Brand-New 27 Nosler Revives the .277, We used the new cartridge on a big-game hunt last fall. That means less tracking of wounded game, which is all math thats sure to please any hunter. Learn More . Here was the same basic belted magnum case, but the 7mm threw bullets as heavy as 175 grains. So, next best thing: If youre serious about longer shots on elk, man up and use a fast .30 with todays heavy, low-drag bullets, 200 to 225 grains. Nosler Trophy Grade Ammunition 27 Nosler 165 Grain AccuBond Long Range Box of 20. Okay, but minimal. So, I dont believe any 7mm hits as hard as a .30-caliber. Some come in ultralight rifles for easy mountain hunting, some in extra heavy platforms for stand hunting or longer range shooting. The ELD-X is not a deep penetrating bullet, but instead is designed for reliable expansion even at longer distances and slower speeds. Re-barrel to the 27 Nosler and go kill elk. Google a 270 win - 280 rem comparison and it will tell you all you need to know. bullets with B.C. For general Big Game hunting, caliber and expected bullet performance is how I judge killing ability. Product #: 503034. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. will kick with 29.3 ft-lb, and the 300 will slap you with 37 ft-lb. Retains > 1,700 foot/pounds of energy at 500 yards. 28 Nosler is a one and done for everything on NA. Home on the Range: The flat-shooting 27 Nosler is an ideal open-country hunting cartridge. I've also shot elk with my 338-06, 30-06AI, 30-06, 7mmRM, 284W, and in the last two years, three elk with a 243W. Just be aware that shot angles and placement do become critical as bullet mass and energy decline. Backfire LLC owns and operates this website. We use cookies to make your experience better. The store will not work correctly in the case when cookies are disabled. Equally significant is the 27 Noslers recommended twist rate: 1 turn in 8.5 inches. The Browning X-Bolt Pro I purchased in .28 Nosler weighs a mere 6 pounds, 10 ounces un-scoped. This gives it the necessary elasticity to expand and seal the chamber while the stronger steel keeps the head from rupturing. can be laid at the feet of the shooter or the bullet used. Nosler, the world's finest bullets, ammunition, rifles, & brass. Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. To take advantage of the cartridge's MPBR (+/- 3"), sight-in the .28 Nosler 160 grain factory load to hit 2.39 inches high at 100 yards. The .277 Fury works with much higher chamber pressures to get high velocity. If you hunt where the game is tough, the shots are long and demanding, and there is no room for compromise, there is no better choice than the 27 Nosler. That increased capacity, coupled with modern powders, allows the 27 Nosler to drive bullets faster and flatter than ever before. The old .270 Winchester has been hotly debated since 1925, yet it has been a favorite among thousands of elk pros. And youll definitely want to spark those heavy powder charges with a large rifle magnum primer. The problem with the medium magnums (over .30 and less than .375): There are few to choose from, and only the .338 is genuinely popular with a robust selection of loads. That 160 grain Nosler Partition bullet is perfect for hunting really big game where it's really important to use a heavy, well constructed projectile. It shoots a svelte .277-caliber 165-grain . A year later, I couldnt be happier with my purchase. I warned you this is a big family. The .30/30, .300 Savage, .30/06, .300 Win. One of the shots put the wildebeest flat on the ground immediately. Whats best for you depends on the distance you intend to shoot, based on where you hunt. With 7mm bullets now up to 195 grains, I would barrel it with 1:8 twist, vice the old 1:9 7mm twist. Quite a few elk have fallen from the 117hh in a wsm at . One of them was even a clean pass through and she only walked about 20 yards and piled-up. The .28 Nosler is an ideal elk hunting cartridge for todays longer-range, flat-trajectory shooting style. 280 AI, 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler Best? Ron Spomer Outdoors Nosler has built quite a cartridge family, and it continues to grow. Mag., .270 WSM, and 27 Nosler step it up a few notches, and the 6.8 Western with its fast twist barrels nudges bullet weights to the upper end of the 7mm line up. Some folks will take any attempt to improve the .270 Winchester as a direct insult, yet I disagree: like the .22-250 Remington and .35 Whelen, an improved twist rate can really change the game altogether, and this is exactly what the 27 Nosler has done. Get a closer look at the Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon in 27 Nosler, the latest addition to our #SundayGunday series.For more information, visit https://www.ame. It nearly matched ballistics of the Weatherby Magnum.
Opus Plasma Vs Microneedling, Will Bubble Gum Kill Raccoons, Fort Hood Murders 2021, Trinidad, Colorado Breaking News, Michael Gardner Obituary 2020, Articles OTHER