GM get a clue! Do not pay that amount. I am wondering the same thing. 2019 Chevy, GMC Trucks Get Smarter Cylinder Deactivation - Car and Driver PDF Service Bulletin Bulletin No.: 20-NA-038 Date: March, 2020 Accept i only have 60K on my truck and it hasnt recovered. Id try the disabler and the screen cleaning first and do the AFM delete if that doesnt solve the problem. Was a disaster then but a profitable disaster. Get this, rebuild is only rings and maybe lifters. I would appreciate any feedback. 50,000 miles. I havent has any lifter or cam issues. What if I was able to trick the computer into thinking it is in 5th gear when it is actually in 6th? They learned that the oil level sensor was necessary and that we were supposed to have been advised that we needed to reuse the original oil pan. I am leaning heavily on installing the AFM disabler. I asume low oil pressure cant make some of the DOD lifters to malfunction? Another General Motors 5.3L V8 Lawsuit Filed | GM Authority Id wait until the warranty expires then disable. Most of the complaints show up in the 2009 to 2011 model years. What type of ODBII gadget did you use? We were getting a code that the cam position sensor was not functioning properly. Thats a tough call, if the warranty will cover itId let it run out. Run it and let it soak overnight. Is this an issue only with GM SUVs and trucks, or does it include cars too? General motors sent out a service bulletins to their dealers however, all dealers will not tell you about the bulletin. Does anyone know how to disable the new Dynamic Fuel Management on the 2019 Silverados? I have a 2007 Yukon XL with the 5.3L and am planning to do this as my lifters have failed and it rattles loudly if it starts, and runs limp. At this state, a disabler would probably do what you need it to do. Plug the tuner into your GM vehicle's OBDII diagnostic port, and follow the instructions provided to update the engine control module's program The new program will make sure that AFM never engages. A custom tune by a knowledgeable tuner with access to a chassis dyno will pay a lot of other dividends other on top of turning off afm and VVT. I have a noise in the engine but it seems to go away when revved up. will feel like a jerk asking the clerk at lowes to cut them again. Battery was unplugged for a week.. I have no clue what to do now. No problems with any to this point. I have 4 GMCs in my driveway right now only one with AFM its always popping DTCs, 06 Yukon (not AFM)never had a light in 12 years! A problem with cylinder deactivation can be solved by tuning the intake and exhaust valves. Install ls3 valley cover. Im looking at the Range Disabler but want to make sure it is required/suggested/recommended/safe? There are no changes in the valves or the springs. I would. With 40000 Thank you again for the response. How did your turn out? I will keep reading and take notes. I bought a 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3L, X31 off road package a year ago. My tech just installed the engine, only to notice that he doesnt have anything to plug the AFM solenoid pack into. Chevy 5.3 Engine Problems (Gen 4) #3: Spark Plug Failure. There is no light on my dash or anything that indicates the system is active or exists, so its very confusing, Im still not sure if my vehicle has it or not. The oil collapses the plunger inside the lifter. With that said, the current global chip shortage has been affecting the industry on a wide scale, forcing production halt among several automakers. Yes, always change all the lifters at once. Regarding the cylinder deactivation impact on fuel consumption . Unplugged AFM engine only runs on 4 cylinders #2,3,5 and 8. My ignition lock cylinder is completely stuck in lock position with the steering wheel locked as well. 1. It was in the late 70s or early 80s and it was a POS, Your memory serves you pretty well I too have the same nightmares lol. This update also saw the usage of cylinder deactivation technology or Active Fuel Management. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR1R8N8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A359W9MWR50ZG1&psc=1. Yes a poor design but a flaw ? []. Question is, since my 2004 ECM and wiring harness were made before the AMF came about will this motor work properly as a V8 or will I need to replace the lifters, cam, oil sensor, etc as the delete method mentions? My question on a 2007 Chevy Tahoe 5.3 AFM As a side note, the early ones had a 24x reluctor and plastic chain guide (good) vs. the later ones with 58x and the spring loaded tensioner (not so good). Ayush Srivastava Who knew? The Oil pressure relief valve deflector added in Oct. of 2010 is small and its part number is NAL-12639759. Every one of these engine will have a lifter fail, this is a travesty! Oh,the throw away vehicle has 77,000 miles and has always had meticulous maintenance . Stop-start cylinder deactivation, direct injection, variable valve timing, thermal management, and continuously variable oil pump; are just some of the Silverado features of . With the nipple, or without? It looks as if Ill need to start saving for a complete AFM delete kit with a new cam. While it does still use the GM Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation technology that caused a plethora of issues on the gen-four Vortec 5300 engines, it seems that GM has solved the issues related to excessive oil consumption. The early part of his automotive career included working for engine builders Scott Shafiroff and C.J. [], [] Its a Gen. 4 5.3L iron-block engine, so youre getting the better intake manifold, connecting rods, and ECM. A bad lifter can be a minor repair if you get it fixed immediately after you hear an issue. If you ignore it and keep driving, odds are you will destroy the cam as well. .or something similar . But yes ultimately, it might be time for a cam and any AFM lifters that werent replaced. Ditto , never buy a throw away vehicle again is my recommendation and my fix . Anyway that horrible experiment was in the late 70s early 80s along with those converted Diesel engines..those like the 8-6-4 nonsense were just terrible failures. But I can replace all of the other engine parts without doing the pistons and bearings so that is what I plan to do. Are there errors or something only the dealer can clear? Vehicle has 40k miles been maintained well and shows no signs of lifter concerns at present. GM Making New Trucks Without Cylinder Deactivation Due To Chip - Motor1 Some drivers want V8 power under their foot at all times. Troubles begin with Bean-counters decide on what can be used for production and engineers who arent Gear-Heads. What type of disabler did you go with? Chevrolet 5.3 Engine Issues and Recommendations What Is Hemi MDS? - MotorTrend the body is in great shape. Just shut AFM off. From what I am reading this would eliminate the possibility of failure, prevent false check engine lights and continue to make the appropriate power??? Thanks to a properly maintained 5.3 with AFM, I can routinely get over 20 MPG on the highway. While the system sounded good, the microprocessors scrambled to activate, deactivate, and then reactivate cylinders as driving conditions quickly changed, causing the car to hesitate, buck, and stall. The GM 2.7-liter L3B Turbo four-cylinder engine for Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups is meant to change minds about power and torque in a small package. If you dont have VVT, you could use part number NAL-12561721 (LQ9) along with a 4-pole 3-bolt 2005 Corvette cam sprocket p/n NAL-12586481 to make it compatible with your ECM. Although the last oil change I had they offered a more expensive oil that would let me go every 5,000 miles and when this happened I was almost at 4,000 so needless to say I will never do that again. The engine also had 799 or 243 casting heads which are closely related to the LS6. When they are locked into position, they wont wear further and cause issues down the road. Ive read at many websites that the GMCs envoys, Chevys and saabs did start to come with AFM in 2005 with the LH6 motor,It says here it started in 2006 on the saabs, then the pick-ups got AFM in 2007. I recently took a long trip and it burned 1.5 quarts of oil. New plugs and wires. Todays computers are faster so it does work. I ran 0W-20 no more the 5000 miles between changes. It seems to me that the high volume oil pump should not hopefully cause premature wear but if it is pushing more oil through the heads than I guess the valve stem seals have more work to do. I have a 2012 Chevy Avalanche. I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe with the 5.3 Gen 4 LS (VIN Code 0) and I bought a CAM motion DOD/AFM delete kit, 3 bolt drop in CAM Motion stage 2 camshaft, VVT delete kit and finally a Diablo Predator 2 Premium for GM programmer. Our 2013 yukon with 47k miles just failed. Sylinder one lost compression on my 09 5,3. She drove it for another 35,000 and it went out again. I call it active obama fuel management .A scam . Really could use some pointers. As GM issued 13 updatesnone of which workeddealers disabled the system on their customers' cars, leaving them permanently in V-8 mode. Only wish Id did my homework, nothing but issues, from 14,000 miles it starts this motor noise,as if lifters at cold starts, let set up for 8 hrs same noise, this noise is on the right side of engine, it lasts 5 seconds but never heard this until we had this cold spell in the state low temperatures or it was just time for this to start? Question i just bought a 2005 Saab 9-7 with 5.3 v8, (same as GMC envoy) which came with AFM, the car runs fine, so if i just install the OBDII electronic device, is it just as likely that my lifters will still go bad? I would say maybe 5% of my customers keep up on their oil changes. Gary, [] 3 engines didnt have AFM (Active Fuel Management) or VVT (Variable Valve Timing), so you dont have the expense of an AFM or VVT delete []. He unstuck it and I took it for a drive and same thing happened. Took it to my dads and he tore things apart and found that I had a lifter that was stuck. The LH6 in 2005-06 was a little different than the one used in 2007-09, but both had AFM. Some guys have been able to use a tool through the top with the cover off to get it to release. Brian, I repaired a 2012 GMC Yukon Denali as the AFM lifter on #4 I take failed. Oil 0w or 5w -20 It came back on last Wednesday starting with a flash. It actavated the lifter? The computers had not evolved enough to control the sytem. Also replaced push rods rocker arms and rocker plate guide because if wore push rod and crack in rocker arm. Does the Pressure relief vavle ever go bad?? Power will be sent to the rear axle via a beefed-up 4L60E [], Have a problem with 09 Chevy Drives way better for my mostly paved road driving. Is there any potential down-side to doing this in other words, might this do more harm than good? Junk . This basically deactivates the cylinder deactivation system. It is being covered under warranty since I only have 72,000 miles on it. Runs better than new now and no more oil consumpsion!! The engine had 200K miles. Why does GM's cylinder deactivation cause lifter failure? 2012 5.3 Tahoe AFM, #4 lifter collapse,replaced all lifters,started engine ran ok, then rough, got #6 misfire code. A V8 firing all 8 cylinders sees 90 degrees between combustion events, while a 4 cylinder engine lengthens this to 180 degrees. I know I felt the same way. They layed over night in engine oil before instalation. All eight cylinders are now powering the engine. No other truck my ass .lol my 99 silverado 1500 with the junk LR4 4.8l and 320k miles 9n itgets 21mpg all day long with 93 octane gas in it. I have ordered an ATM disabler and will be putting a can of Textron in the gas at the next fill up. The LZ1 was upgraded with AFM and []. I have an 07 Yukon with over 180K. i have a 2007 suburban 6.0 and the number 4 intake lifter took a dive.i have already started to disassemble the engine as i plan on replacing all the lifters and reassemble the engine as i never had any other problems with it. if GM wont make a dependable truck for 60,000 Toyota is sure to take over even with very poor gas mileage . Right now I have just over 77K miles with no lifter problems Knock on wood I am thinking of the AFM disabler. I noticed this discussion mainly addresses Chevy Silverados and other trucks? My point is that the engine likely on uses dod a small percentage of the time so can not really imagine that the delete causes any more issue than normal which may be the high oil consumption but do all of these engines with dod consume a lot of oil? Apparently all passkey III keys are not the same,, I bought one that said for 2006 impala assuming all pk3 would be the same, and I could not get it programmed in my saab 9-7,, so how Im waiting on ones that specially said for saab 9-7. hoping they will work. Plugs spark fine engine has power at higher RPMs although it is still in Limp mode / stabilitrack message, even after driving it a few times above 60 MPH then clearing errors with handheld programmer. Required fields are marked *. It has plenty of oil pressure and I put all new lifters in it. Cylinder Deactivation & Variable Engine Displacement - LiveAbout Why cant you stop the send signals from the computer so that the solenoids dont open and the AFM system is never engaged? RANGE TECNOLOGY.COM. There is a note in the TSB that states the bulletin doesnt apply to the LH6 used in the Rainier, Trailblazer, and Envoy due to a different design oil pan and AFM relief valve. Have misfire code and engine has what I would call a surge while driving. 2017 5.3 Liter Chevy Engine Problems: Be Aware of These 4 Issues! Covers me to 100K. so the trans fluid worked for you then? Clean oil is crucial. The secondary pressure relief in the back of the pan began to open at 55 psi and was completely open by 75 psi. what deleter (if thats a real word) have you heard good things about. Everything was fine for two weeks, ow customer complains s it same noise it made as before. [] they have a downside? The most common are fuel pump failure, transfer case sensor failure, fuel injector failure, and carbon build-up. , Production date on the vehicle is 04/2006 oddly enough. I am a long time GM fan but after reading how they messed up the 5.3 ( I had a fantastic 2003 Z72 off road) Ill look else ware for my next vehicle. Thanks for your help. The Definitive Guide to LS Engine Specs and LS Engine Upgrades, LS3 Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LS3 Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LS Engine Bore & Stroke Chart - OnAllCylinders, http://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/article/91652/ticking-gm-v8-lifters-and-dtc, Range Active Fuel Management Disable Device, LS9 6.2L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LS9 Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LMG 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LMG Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, L59 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L59 Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, L76 Car Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L76 Car Engine Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LH8 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L20 Engine Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LH6 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LH6 Engine Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LFA 6.0L Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More - OnAllCylinders, LFA 6.0L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LFA Engine Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, LZ1 6.0L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LZ1 Engine Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, What the New LT2 Mid-Engine Corvette Reveals About the Future of GM LT Engines, All the Torques: How Summit Pro LS Truck Camshafts Help Truck Owners Maximize Performance, LMF 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LMF Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, L98 6.0L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L98 Mods to Maximize Performance, LQ4/LQ9 Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LQ4 & LQ9 Mods to Maximize Performance - OnAllCylinders, Range AFM Disabler Reviews | Range Technology AFM Disabler 2019, LS3 Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LS3 Mods to Maximize Performance, LM7 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LM7 Mods to Maximize Performance, LS4 Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More, L76 6.0L Car Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More, L96 6.0L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L96 Mods to Maximize Performance, LC9 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LC9 Mods to Maximize Performance, LH6 5.3L Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More, LZ1 6.0L Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More, Chevy 4.3L Vortec Common Engine Problems - Vortec 4300 V6, https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/11/30/how-to-delete-or-disable-active-fuel-management-afm-on-gm-…, The 5 Most Common Chevy EcoTec3 5.3L Engine Problems, Chevy 6.0L Vortec Engine Problems - Common Vortec 6000 Problems, The 4 Most Common Chevy EcoTec3 6.2L Engine Problems, Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 LS Engines: How to ID Them (Video), Ask Away with Jeff Smith: Upgrades to GM LS 6.0L 4x4, LM4 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for LM4 Mods to Maximize Performance, L33 5.3L Engine Upgrade Guide: Expert Advice for L33 Mods to Maximize Performance, Mailbag: Choosing an Engine Management System for an LS-Swapped '82 Olds Cutlass. CAM motion says no just have to disable the AFM and VVT with a stock tune as the camshaft is not an aggressive camshaft but a drop in. Put an S&B cold air intake on last week with huge oiled filter and it made a big improvement in throttle response and it appears possibly a slight improvement in mileage. Brian, I have a 2010 burb with the exact same symptoms and questions as Shawn please help! You can search our site by engine code to find some of the upgrade articles weve published and more are on the way. Teflon coatings does not last. It does seem that when they start goingthey go quickly. The materials used in the engine were [], I have a 2018 GMC with the Eassist and AFM WATCH THIS VIDEO https://youtu.be/1MJMf3nnQhQ. I only have ~ 5k miles on it, and it hasnt been driven hard, so Im assuming the lifters are fine. I switched from gm to dodge in 1984, have had 3 1st gen Durango and 4 2nd gen Dakotas, all used, with impeccable reliability. Thats not all bad because it saves the cost of an AFM delete kit. The lifter came apart and chewed up the lobe on the cam Im selling it I also told my friend at work when he asked me about my truck .I said Ill never by another GM ever. Never did strand me on the side of the road way. Side note, after 200 hundred miles of trouble free driving the transmission failed so we had to replace that too. Unfortunately because of emission standards nowadays, manufacturers cant go back to those style of engines. I already ordered the parts to replace myself and remove the code. I have always loved Ford and Chevys , I dont like this Vehicle not one bit, starring shaft has to be lubed or it whines, front A arms has done been replaced, tapping in motor, leaf springs has been lubed, retorqued, put completely new leaf springs back in on the rear , grease all down from rims to body of truck, you have to clean often,console shakes as if milk shakes in console which later they also put rubber bushings in front of coils of shocks ( front end) .You lock it down in 44 it s metal to metal , As of now Im at 32,000 done gone threw all the arbitrator laws depending on how it goes? . If doing that, the full blown AFM delete is about $1000 depending on how far you go (full overhaul or cam with lifters only). I was looking at the 08 escalade hybrid with dod on its 6.0 so wondering if the delete would contribute to the high oil consumption and therefore would adding the deflector be a good idea. Active Fuel Management (formerly known as displacement on demand (DoD)) is a trademarked name for the automobile variable displacement technology from General Motors.It allows a V6 or V8 engine to "turn off" half of the cylinders under light-load conditions to improve fuel economy.Estimated performance on EPA tests shows a 5.5-7.5% improvement in fuel economy. My Chevy truck with fuel management can not touch my 2000 Chevy with out fuel management. After taking a $3.6h bath on the lifter/valve work and doing a little research, how can GM allow a problem like this AFM continue from 07 to present? lol. The service manager that I spoke with said, GM states if 2 qts of oil is used between oil changes the engine needs rebuild. As the problem gets worse, youll hear a lifter tick and eventually you may see clearance between the pushrod and the rocker which will quickly destroy the cam. Ive only put a straight pipe exhaust, intake, and a boost controller on it. Verified over hundreds of trips, makes no sense. I have a 2014 Silverado with a 5-3. the extra oil isnt needed. Only running on drivers side cylinders. In four-cylinder mode, they act like air springs and allow for smooth operation. please respond with your opinion. Replace the cam or do the delete kit? yep, you are 100% Right, I called a local saab shop and they filled me in, in 2005 the trailblazer and clones have DOD (displacement on demand), My next issue is getting extra ignition keys on the cheap. . One the other hand, it came without AFM, VVT, or flex fuel capability. The 1 Big Problem People Are Having With the Chevy Silverado - MotorBiscuit Replaced all 16 lifters due to collapsed lifter on CYl #4. [], I have 2007 5.3 its a new motor this truck scares me 9000.00 these trucks are jokes I wont bother with blocking the relief valve. Sometimes it will do it all the time and other times can drive it for 10 miles and then it starts but doesnt do it constantly when driving. Hello. IMHO . Ever since that which was Feb/March 2020 i get a intermittent rattle does not do it all the time and I am not getting any codes i.e. GM should recall every vehicle with this terrible design flaw! Oil flows to the special lifters through theAFMtowers. Service manager said nothing else needs to be replaced because the engine has a Teflon coating. If a shop pulled a DTC code P0300 and found AFM to be the issue, it may not be too late to try the disabler. But it also restricts passages that the oil runs through. I have an 08 Suburban that is currently getting the lifters replaced a second time within a three month span.
White Ring Around Lip Piercing, Saint Cyprian Of Antioch Medal, How To Enable Call Recording In Google Dialer, Turn Off Night Mode Android Camera, Beth Wolfe Mike Wolfe's Sister, Articles G